Species Hunting

This blog will record my fishing progress via the REPORTS tag, list marks fished through the VENUES tag, and may also help you identify your own catch through the SPECIES tag on the right hand side of the webpage.


2013 - 32 species : 2012 - 32 species : 2011 - 33 species : 2010 - 33 species : 2009 - 35 species : 2008 - 46 species : 2007 - 46 species : 2006 - 35 species : 2005 - 36 species



Friday 20 June 2008

Report, Llyn Brenig

Date - 19/06/08

The RCSL National flyfishing competition finally arrives, and the blustery wind stayed from the previous day, but at least the rain had stopped (until 5pm anyhow!).

The competitors scattered from the lodge at 10am, trying to locate the fish.

Ron & John Lewis steaming off

View back down the lake

Within half an hour of starting fishing - I had boated my 1st fish (a rainbow of around a pound and a half) to a damselfly, and spent quarter of an hour, beached, trying to get my engine to start!!

Finally got her running and moved back up for the same drift, but no other takes, so I moved to the mouth of Brenig Arm, where I immediately hit into fish....infact 2 on the same cast - it was deja-vu with Llys Y fran earlier in the season, but unlike then - I somehow managed to lose both fish - perhaps by being too greedy and trying to net the fish on the point fly, while the one on the top dropper, was on it's side on the surface! But with one flick of it's tail - it was gone.

2 casts later and my 2nd fish was in the boat - this time to a cormorant. I connected with a few more fish, but failed to land them, and it was gone 3pm when my 3rd and 4th fish came to the boat - again both on cormorants.

I finished the day with 4 fish, no-where near the prizes - but a respectable 7th in the 'best boat' competition (considering I was fishing alone). Well done to the Irish lads who both bagged up by 3pm, and who will hopefully be hosting next years event...........Lough Mask perhaps?

Species caught - Rainbow trout

No comments: