Species Hunting

This blog will record my fishing progress via the REPORTS tag, list marks fished through the VENUES tag, and may also help you identify your own catch through the SPECIES tag on the right hand side of the webpage.


2013 - 32 species : 2012 - 32 species : 2011 - 33 species : 2010 - 33 species : 2009 - 35 species : 2008 - 46 species : 2007 - 46 species : 2006 - 35 species : 2005 - 36 species



Saturday 22 November 2008

Report, Benjoma - Cod Trip

Date - 20/11/08

Ian had organised a trip East for some of the Danglers, so we locked out at 8am from Penarth marina, and steamed the short distance to the fishing grounds.

First cast - Clive had a belting bit, and pulled in a plump codling. Things were looking good!

Soon we were all hitting into congers - and I managed a couple up to 15 - 20lb.
As the tide eased, and swung round for the ebb - the fishing slowed, with still only the single cod on the boat. A while into the ebb - and after boating a few conger. I had a small bite on my rod, and I reeled into what I suspected to be another eel. After starting off feeling like an eel, the fight changed and soon a cracking cod hit the surface and was scooped into the net.
The fish went 10lb 8oz, was in prime condition, and was a pb for me. My first 'proper' Bristol Channel cod!
We finished the day a bit slowly, but I did manage an eel of around 30lb+.

All too quickly we were heading back to the lock. A cracking trip had by all, despite the lack of numbers on the cod front. Fingers crossed for some decent weather and a few more cod in a fortnights time. Not asking for much!!!




No comments: