Species Hunting

This blog will record my fishing progress via the REPORTS tag, list marks fished through the VENUES tag, and may also help you identify your own catch through the SPECIES tag on the right hand side of the webpage.


2013 - 32 species : 2012 - 32 species : 2011 - 33 species : 2010 - 33 species : 2009 - 35 species : 2008 - 46 species : 2007 - 46 species : 2006 - 35 species : 2005 - 36 species



Monday 19 January 2015

Report - Burry Port 19/01/15

After missing a few of the trips East, I finally had a small window today to get afloat (after all it is my birthday and I have a very understanding wife (most of the time!) - what a stunning day to get out!.
 
2 options - take time to travel East to somewhere I know the codling are living, or gamble, experiment and stay local and hope for the best?!! 
 
More fishing time won so off I trotted somewhere North of the Gower armed with some frozen blacks, a couple of squid and some manky 8 year old garfish fillets from the freezer (they were for the turbot on the shambles, but hey ho!).  Tide was bit big, but I fancied experimenting and travelling out a fair way.
 
45min paddle out West (I should have left a little early for an easier trip) and soon the hook was down and I was fishing. 
 
1st half hour was slow and I was thinking of moving when I had the 1st bite, and landed a nice codling of around 2.5lb or so. 
 
 
That's when all hell broken loose on the dab front - it was difficult to keep 2 rods in the water with double and triple shots of good dabs flying over the side (mainly to frozen blacks - but squid worked too).
 
 
I even managed back to back to back triple shots on dabs, and after about 400 of the beggars I thought I'd call it a day.  Dismantled one rod and swung the kayak round to pull up the anchor, but as I was swinging round I noticed a bite on the other rod, and was soon lifting another nice codling out of the water.
 
Sat bow into the tide I thought I'd have one sneaky last drop (over the shoulder job - couldn't be arsed swinging back round) - and within a couple of minutes I was lifting a near 4lb'er over the side. Back down and another comfortable 2lb'er, and then another! Crazy 15 or 20 minutes - but I really had to go - so decided to slip the last one back as I already had a few nice ones for the table.
 

Only 1/2 decent pic that came from my new 'muvi' camera - more practise required.
 
Fair do's the tide was thumping through today (7.5m Llanelli scale).  I've fished it from boats before, but only on neaps - still plenty of fish about (and the landing back in Burry Port was also a bit hairy with some nice surf rolling in).
 
Stayed dry tho (just!!), and bagged 5 codling and around 70 - 100 dabs - strange thing was that I didn't get a single whiting?!
 
 
 
The fridge/freezer is now replenished and my species hunt is off the mark (when I get a chance to submit)!
 
 

No comments: